- Oil2 Tablespoons
- Green Cardamoms3
- Black Pepper6
- Mustard Seeds1/2 Teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds1/2 Teaspoons
- Curry Leaves8
- Ginger-Garlic Paste1 Teaspoons
- Green Chili1
- Coriander Leaves1/2 Cups
- Turmeric Powder1/4 Teaspoons
- Red Chili Powder1/4 Teaspoons
- Coriander Powder1/2 Teaspoons
- Water2 Cups
- Saltto taste
- Coriander Leaves2 Tablespoons
1) Rinse basmati rice in running water and let the rice soak in water for about 20 minutes.
2) Drain the rice from water and set them aside.
3) Pour 2 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker and bring the cooker over heat. Let the oil get hot.
4) Add green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, mustard seeds, black pepper, and cumin seeds in the oil and let the mustard seeds crackle. Do adjust the flame to medium heat so that you don’t end up burning the spices.
5) Add one-third a cup of chopped onion along with 8 curry leaves in the pressure cooker. Mix well and saute well so that the onion turn golden.
6) Add a teaspoon ginger-garlic paste in the mixture along with quarter a cup of chopped coriander leaves and 2 green chilies; saute the spices until the aroma of the ginger-garlic is no more there.
7) Add a cup of finely chopped beetroot, mix well, and saute the mixture for about a minute.
8) Add quarter a teaspoon each of turmeric powder and red chili powder along with half a teaspoon of coriander powder. Mix well and then add rice in the mixture. Gently stir the rice and cook for another minute.
9) Add a couple of cups of water and add salt according to taste. Cook the mixture for about 9 to 10 minutes.
10) Once the pressure settles down, do remove the lid from the pressure cooker and fluff the rice generously.
11) Garnish the rice coriander leaves and serve beetroot rice with a yogurt dip or a veggie salad.
Once I was able to visit India to take part in a conference and after the conference, I decided to spend some time in the Indian markets. Walking through a market, I was able to smell some delicious aroma; I followed the aroma and came to know that the sweet aroma belongs to beetroot rice. I was so much tempted that I decided to try the rice. The taste was equally perfect. I got to ask the recipe and the restaurant owner was generous enough to let me know the recipe; it’s quite easy to try the recipe. Beetroot rice is touch spicy – a perfect combo of the sweetness of beetroot and the spice added by the spices. Basmati rice go great in the recipe but you can also try the recipe with any other rice type of your choice. Prepare rice in just about half an hour and serve it with a salad and a yogurt dip.