- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- Green Plantain1Peeled
- Vegetable Oil2 Tablespoons
- Garlic1 ClovesChopped
- Yellow Onion1/4Sliced
- Cumin PowderPinch
- Mayonnaise1 Tablespoons
- American Cheese1 slice
- Tomato Slices2
- Lettuce Leaves3
- Beef Skirt Steak4 OuncesCut into thin slices
1) Add oil to a deep fryer and heat over high flame.
2) Once the oil is super hot, add in the plantain halves and fry for a couple minutes. Set aside.
3) Set up the fried halves on a flat surface. Flatten by pressing a plater on the top.
4) Return the flattened plantain halves to the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes more. Soak in tissue papers.
5) Heat up a couple tablespoons of oil in a skillet.
6) Add the skirt steak, onion and garlic. Stir fry and add oregano and cumin. Heat through and cook until the steak is done.
7) Layer one platain slice with mayonnaise and top with cheese and steak.
8) Then top with the cooked steak mixture, followed by onion mixture, tomato and lettuce.
9) Top with platain half. Slice your sandwich and serve!
My whole family just cannot get enough of this Jibarito Recipe. Absolutely stunningly filled, layered and flavored sandwiches coming right out of the Puerto Rican flavors. The most amazing thing about these sandwiches is that they dont use any bread! A must try dish!