- Oil for deep frying
- Water2/3 Cups
- All Purpose Flour2/3 Cups
- Baking Powder1.75 Teaspoons
- Salt and PepperTo Taste
- White Bread8 slices
- Swiss Cheese4 slices
- Turkey4 slices
- Ham4 slices
- Confectioners' Sugar1 Tablespoons
1) Heat up oil in a deep fryer until super hot or until an instant read thermometer reads 175 degree Celsius.
2) Take a bowl and whisk water and egg together.
3) Add baking powder and flour. Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper. Mix together well.
4) Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for some time.
5) Top one slice of bread with a slice of turkey.
6) Top the turkey layer with a layer of Swiss Cheese. Then top with a ham slice.
7) Top the ham slice with a slice of bread and close the sandwich. Do this for all sandwiches and cut them in quarters. Use toothpicks to secure.
8) Coat each quarter in the prepared refrigerated batter and fry in the hot deep fryer with oil. Fry until evenly brown.
9) Once done, set up the fried sandwiches on a serving platter. Garnish with confectioners sugar and serve hot!
This Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe is the original recipe for these stunningly famous sandwiches. The filling is incredibly flavorful and creamy and makes for a delicious sandwich. These sandwiches are to be served hot with your favorite sweet and sour dip sauce, currant sauce jelly preferably. A brilliant main course sandwich meal which may also be served as a beautiful appetizer.