- All-Purpose Flour2 Cups
- Packed Brown Sugar1 1/2 Cups
- Raisins1 Cups
- Shortening3/4 Cups
- Fresh Lemon Juice3 Tablespoons
- Lemon Zest3 Tablespoons
- Baking Soda1 Teaspoons
- Ground Cinnamon1 Teaspoons
- Ground Nutmeg1/2 Teaspoons
- Salt1/2 Teaspoons
1) Preheat the oven up to 175 Degrees C (350 Degrees F) and prepare 9 inch square baking pan with grease.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
3) In another large bowl cream together packed brown sugar and shortening. Beat in both eggs one by one.
4) Add lemon zest and fresh lemon juice and stir in dry ingredients. Blend well and then add raisins.
5) Transfer the batter into prepared pan evenly and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly colored.
6) Let the crust cool in pan on wire racks and drizzle with confectioner sugar icing or with whipped cream.
7) Top with mint, sliced strawberries, sliced lemons and cut the crust into medium bars.
If it is Christmas Eve and you want to make something special then don’t hesitate to try Old-Fashioned Lemon Bars. The bars have great flavors with chewy texture and topping of sliced strawberries, lemon and mint will add more beauty in its presentation. Cutting the bars into small or medium squares will increase or decrease the yield.