- Beef Chuck2 Poundscut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Sweet Paprika1 Teaspoonsplus more for garnish
- Kosher Salt and Pepperto taste
- All Purpose Flour1/3 Cups
- Olive Oil3 Tablespoons
- White Potatoes1 Pounds
- Cremini Mushrooms1/2 Pounds
- Tomato Paste2 Tablespoons
- Beef Broth2 Cupslow-sodium
- Fresh Thyme Sprigs3
- Caraway Seeds1 Teaspoonsoptional
- Parsley Leaves1/2 Cups
- Sour Creamfor serving
1) Place beef in a bowl and add one and a half teaspoon of salt along with half a teaspoon of pepper and paprika. Mix well so that the beef is well coated with the salt-mixture.
2) Coat the beef with flour and remove the excess flour, if any.
3) Add a couple of tbsp of oil in a skillet and bring the skillet over medium heat. Let the oil get hot.
4) Add beef in the skillet and cook it for about 3 minutes so that it turns brown (don’t disturb the beef at this stage).
5) Then cook the beef for another 3 minutes, while stirring it as required. Make sure it’s quite brown.
6) Turn off the heat and then transfer the mixture to a slow-cooker (6-quart).
7) Add onions, potatoes, carrots, and mushroom in the cooker and mix well, so that the ingredients are well combined.
8) Add a tbsp of oil in the skillet and heat it over medium heat.
9) Add tomato paste in the skillet and cook for about a minute so that the oil turns red.
10) Then add flour in the skillet and mix well until the mixture is quite thick.
11) Now add caraway, beef broth, and thyme in the skillet; season it with half a teaspoon of salt and pepper according to taste; let the mixture come to a boil.
12) Do stir well and cook the mixture for another 4 minutes so that the gravy is quite thick and smooth.
13) Transfer the gravy to a slow cooker and cover the cooker with a lid.
14) Cook the mixture for about 8 hours over low heat so that the veggies and meat are quite tender.
15) Add salt and pepper according to taste and then add parsley; mix well.
16) Transfer the stew to the serving bowl.
17) Sprinkle some paprika over the stew and then add some sour cream over it.
18) Serve slow cooker beef stew with rice.
Slow Cooker meals take quite a time to get ready but the great thing is that the taste is so fabulous that you forget about the time invested. Take some time out of the weekend hustle and make this delicious slow cooker beef stew. You may skip adding caraway in the recipe but I would suggest you adding it to give it the special touch.