- Dark raisins1 Cups
- Golden raisins1 Cups
- Rum2 Tablespoons
- Dates2 Cupscoarsely chopped
- All purpose flour2 1/2 Cloves1 tbsp. extra too
- Toasted walnuts2 Cupscoarsely chopped
- Mixed candied fruit1 Pounds
- Baking powder1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Salt1 Teaspoons
- Granulated Sugar1 Cups
- Vegetable shortening1 Cups
- Honey1/2 Cups
- Orange juice1/3 Cupsfreshly squeezed
- Lemon juice1/4 Cupsfreshly squeezed
1) Preheat the oven to 250 F.
2) Grease two loaf pans with butter and then line them with 2 layers of brown paper and a layer of wax paper. Grease between each layer and the top parchment paper layer.
3) Rinse raisins in the cold water.
4) Place rum and raisins in a covered dish and bake it for about 20 minutes at 350 F.
5) Once done, remove it from oven and set it aside to cool.
6) Reduce the temperature of the oven to 250 F.
7) Chop dates and sprinkle 1 tbsp. flour on the dates so that they don’t stick together (you may also flour the dates before chopping).
8) Mix raisins with candied fruit, dates, and nuts in a large mixing bowl.
9) Add a cup of flour over the fruits and nuts and mix them well.
10) Once done, set it aside.
11) Mix baking powder, salt, sugar, honey, shortening, lemon juice, and orange juice in one and a half cup of flour and beat it until it gets fully mixed.
12) Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl so that the mixture is evenly blended.
13) Add eggs, one after the other, and beat well after you add each egg.
14) Pour the batter over the nut and fruit mixture and stir it well.
15) Transfer the batter to the pans.
16) Smooth the surface with the backside of a large spoon.
17) Put a small water pan on the bottom rack of the oven and place fruit cakes in the middle rack.
18) Bake for about 3 hours or till there is no imprint when the cake top is touched.
19) Remove the cake from oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
20) Remove and discard the papers once the cake is cool.
You can eat the cake once it is cooled, but it is a better option to let them stay for a period of 2 months or so.
1) Wrap the cakes in a rum or a plastic wrap and then place it in a sealed plastic freezer bag.
2) Now, store it in a dark cool place.
This is a flavorful and cream-rich cake. It has nuts spread all over the top. I had dusted the cake with mashed nuts and it looked great. The brown color of the cake is not only because it is properly baked but also because of the presence of nuts. Surely the cake is going to get you a lot of admires from your family and friends.