- Olive Oil1/2 Cups
- Onions1 Pounds
- Garlic8 Cloves
- Lemon Peel3 Tablespoons
- Coriander1 Tablespoons
- Sweet Paprika2 Teaspoons
- Cumin1 1/2 Teaspoonsground
- Ginger1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Cayenne Pepper1/4 Teaspoons
- Parsley8 Tablespoonschopped
- Fresh Dill8 Tablespoons
- Fresh Mint8 Tablespoons
- Chicken Thighs4 Pounds
- Chicken Broth4 Cupslow-salt
- Fennel Bulbs3fresh
1) Pour water in a large bowl; extract juice from a lemon and add it to the bowl.
2) Take an artichoke and break it outer leaves.
3) Now cut the green part off the stem and its base.
4) Cut the artichoke into 4 equal parts lengthwise. Make sure each pieces in one and a half inch in length.
5) Scrape out the choke and add it to the bowl. Repeat the procedure with all the artichokes.
6) Pour quarter a cup of oil in a large skillet and bring it over high heat.
7) Add onions in the skillet and cook the onions for about 5 minutes until they turn translucent.
8) Add garlic cloves, grated lemon peel, coriander, sweet paprika, ginger, and cumin in the pan.
9) Add 6 tbsp each of mint, parsley, and dill and cook for another 3 minutes.
10) Transfer the mixture to a heavy pot and set it aside.
11) Sprinkle pepper and salt over chicken.
12) Pour 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
13) Add one-third of chicken in the skillet and saute it for about 3 minutes from each side.
14) Transfer the mixture to pot with the onion mixture.
15) Repeat the procedure with the remaining portion of chicken. Do add extra oil if needed.
16) Add broth to the skillet and allow it to boil.
17) Transfer the broth to a pot and then add carrots and fennel.
18) Add artichokes in the pot and allow the mixture to boil.
19) Allow the tagine to boil.
20) Cover, reduce the heat, and cook for about 20 minutes so that the chicken becomes well cooked.
21) Remove the cover and cook for about 15 minutes so that the vegetables and chicken are well cooked.
22) Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
23) Boil well for about 10 minutes so that the sauce is quite thick. (Make sure it coats the back of a spoon).
24) Sprinkle salt and pepper over it and now add veggies and chicken to it.
25) Add 2 tbsp each of mint, parsley, and dill over it.
26) Serve the vegetable and chicken tagine as a main dish.
Vegetable and Chicken Tagine is a great combo of the main ingredients; chicken, onion, and some other veggies. Make this dish to have a perfectly healthy lunch or dinner. You can also make the dish a day ahead before you intend to serve it. In that case, allow it to cool a bit, chill it well, cover it, and place it in a refrigerator. Warm it again before serving and then add spices in it.